CLO’s Strategic Intervention In Good Governance
As part of our commitment to the promotion of good governance, the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO), Akwa Ibom Branch, is undertaking a holistic diagnosis of the problems of, and prescription of solutions to three key sectors in Akwa Ibom State. They are Agriculture, Health and Education.
This is CLO’s follow up action to the One-Day RoundTable organised by the CLO, Akwa Ibom Branch, at Watbridge Hotel, Uyo, on Thursday, 16th September, 2021.
The CLO is therefore pleased to set up a 27- member panel to undertake this project and report back in two months.
The Report of this Panel and their recommendations would be handed to the 2023 governorship aspirants of all the Political Parties in Akwa Ibom State for incorporation into their manifestos.
CLO recognises that the three sectors (Agriculture, Health and Education) constitute the core of our economic development for the 21st Century. It is therefore important that the next administration beginning from 29th May, 2023, be advised to stay focused on these three areas right from Day One of the administration.
Relatedly, CLO is making arrangements to organise a Debate among the leading 2023 governorship candidates in the State. We shall announce details soon.
Members of the Panel are:
- Prof. Trenchard Ibia – Chairman
- Dr. Aniekeme Uwah – Co-Chairman
- Mr. Etim Etim – Secretary
- Barr. Christopher Ekpo – co Secretary
- Prof. Christopher Ekong
- Prof. Des Wilson
- Prof. Ini Akpabio
- Prof. Etok Ekanem
- Prof. Uduak Okon
- Rt. Hon. (Engr.) Akanimo Edet
- Pastor Ita Udoh
- Mr. Juwe Ikechukwu
- Barr. Aniekan Akpan
- Mrs. Regina Askia (Diaspora)
- Comrade Nsemeke Udoakpan
- Barr. Eyibio Okon
- Barr. Godknows Njoku
- Barr. Innocent Idemudia
- Rev. David Essien
- Rev. Fr. Cletus Etim
- Comrade Eridiong Obong
- Citizen Matthew Okono
- Mr. Asteroid Bassey
- Ms. Imaobong Akpan Akpan
- Mr. Vincent Aluu
- Dr. Ekem John
- Mr. Utitofon Jeremiah
Terms of Reference:
- To undertake a diagnostic study of the three sectors mentioned above in Akwa Ibom State.
- To make recommendations to the next administration on how best the government can revamp education in the State and make it relevant to our people in the 21st century.
- To recommend ways to stimulate agricultural production and make food sufficiency a priority in the State, as well as ways to stimulate employment in agriculture and recommend ways that farmers in Akwa Ibom can key into the funding programs of the federal government such as the Anchor Borrowers Scheme Program.
- To visit and interact with the Management of key Hospitals in the State and obtain firsthand information on the problems of healthcare in Akwa Ibom.
- To talk to other healthcare providers and professionals in the Health sector like the Health Management Organisation (the Health insurance companies) and obtain firsthand information on how to improve access to healthcare.
- To undertake further research on how best to bring medical services in the most affordable way to Akwa Ibom people.
- To develop a blueprint that will assist the next administration make improvements in these three key sectors of the State within the first one year of the administration.
Otuekong Franklyn Isong
(State Chairman of CLO)
Comrade (Barr.) Christopher Ekpo
(State Secretary of CLO)
27th January, 2022.